Work

Place for general chit chat

Work

Postby RLN » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:56 pm

I know we all come from different disciplines, but this is where I spend most of my time at work. Of course there are lots of big hot whirry things on the other side of the wall, but this is the Control Room. The MW output you can see is enough to power most of Hertfordshire.

RLN

Re: Work

Postby Mayfly » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:28 am

have you always worked in the same industry?

I did 17 years in the Airforce then the same job as a civvie for a while, If I could have my time again I like to be a marine biologist
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby RLN » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:01 am

No, I left college with a HND in Business Studies and intended to go into PR. At the time there was a recession (again) and Companies weren't taking on inexperienced people. So I did industrial temping just to get some money. Then I set up my own transport company with a partner and did most of our work for Hennes when they had just set up in this country. We had a row, I resigned and was unemployed for 8 months and then the Brother -in-law got me into London Underground's power station in 1985 as a gatekeeper, and now I am sometimes in charge of a £250 million power station. I have 2 regrets - I wish I had apprenticed in the power industry when I was 16, and I wish I had joined the RAF. Sorry it's a bit long, but you did ask :D
RLN

Postby Mayfly » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 am

I alway wanted to join the RAF from the age of 11 when I decided I wanted to be a fighter pilot - but the only way I could have done that was join the Israeli airforce - haha, I've always found it interesting as to how people became what they are & in a lot of cases it's often by accident & rarely by design

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby MadNaddy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:30 am

Well, I did my GCSE's and stayed on for a year in the 6th form to do my RSA's so I could do anything secretarial. That was the plan. But, I love music, and played in the Salvation Army band. I was really good and was Principal Cornet in one of the top Sally army bands in the country at one point..... I looked into joining up and being in the forces as a musician but I didn't have any theory exams under my belt, so would have had to do these.

But, life deals you some blows doesn't it. Life dealt some nasty ones and I left school and went straight into a YTS at Volvo as a telephonist. After 3mths I was taken on on a permanent basis, and after 3yrs I was PA to the directors, and covering Sales, Service and Accounts admin too when needed, as well as working at the sister sites in Bridlington/ Scarborough sorting them out and 'finding' £15k in lost warranty money due to the parts dept incompetance - the parts manager was then sacked [-x

I left there to work for a bearing company as a secretary/driver where the owner was a total chauvenist, and lasted 3mth, then went back to the motor trade in a family garage, and left because I was pregnant with Devon. Since then I've done an NVQ Level 3 in Childrens Care Learning and Development which is for children from birth to 16yrs, a playwork certificate for after school clubs, cake decorating for 2yrs at college, I've got an intro cert in first line management too now. I've worked as a Manager in a Childrens Daycare facility, been a Carer for my brother who has MS, worked for Clarks shoes as a cashier which was good fun actually and I left there as I was pregnant with Cam.

Now, I'm having a break - well, I'm waiting to hear from a couple of places - motor trade again (LOL) and estate agents, showing people around houses what an easy job hey =)) =)) Hours to suit, totally understanding about having a family etc. Bliss!

Oh and I'm decorating, as well as being a taxi driver for the kids, and general slave to them too of course ~x( :))

Wish I'd joined the army though - such an easy life .............................
Image Image
MadNaddy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: psychobabble

Postby Bubbles » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Government employed Assassin, though do the odd bit of freelance now and again. B-)

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Postby RLN » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:18 pm

Bubbles wrote:Government employed Assassin, though do the odd bit of freelance now and again. B-)

That's good. I may have a job for you. 8-x
RLN

Postby Mackrick » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:24 am

Part time RAF full time aircraft photographer... \:D/
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Mackrick

Postby Mayfly » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:57 am

Mackrick wrote:Part time RAF full time aircraft photographer... \:D/

many a true word.................

Mayfly

Postby Mackrick » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:53 am

MF Its hard but someone has to do it ;)
Mackrick

Postby Mackrick » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Still love the view from my window at work...

Mackrick

Postby RLN » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:42 pm

You are really beginning to upset me now X(
RLN

Postby Mackrick » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Ooops Sorry...
Tend to take these things for granted...
So who wants to do a job swap for a day ?
Mackrick

Postby RLN » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Me,me,me
RLN

Postby Saracenman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 pm

bagsy - i was first :D
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby Mackrick » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:55 pm

SM you just have to ask ;)
Mackrick

Postby Mayfly » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:08 pm

SM you'll need to take a camera, I think it's the only tool of Ricks trade :))

Mayfly

Postby Cluny » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Warehouse Manager by default in a small car parts firm [im the only one in the warehouse :( ] , pays the bills , just .
Rain God Mod
Cluny

Also Known As: Blizzard the watcher

Postby Mackrick » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:32 am

And a fast car ;)
Mackrick

Postby Hungry Haggis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Well now if the grey matter can sort it all out .Left school sorry woke up.Joined Army Went into Royal Signals did stupid things like volenteered for stuff like parachute training Worst idea I ever had that one :D .Got sent to train with the paras and the shaddowy figures from Hereford.Here i learned the dubious skill of HALO or for the uninformed High altitude low opening at night .spent time on HMS Hemes doing forward air control heres where needed the parachute.Got tired of getting shot at after 12 years then went Transcontinental trucking .also heavy haulage Dragging planes around the country on low loaders (why on earth I like planes I do not know) :D .Got taken out by a Toyota Landcruiser while standing on a pavement .ended my working career and the rest as my specalist says is a pain in the Head,Back, Leg..One things for sure the Arabs and the IRA had several goes at me ,I'm still here .Oh and had to give up on a fundraising idea for XH558 involving me leaving a perfectly serviceable aircraft at 25000 ft as I could not get passed the medical and no one would insure me .Handed that one on to Mike Appleton on the other forum and he has done her proud .OH yes TVOC never knew anything about my training or setting up my jump before and never will .I am gutted that I can never jump again but mike did a vey good job of it.Yes you can cram a lot into 1 life and get away with it .
Question remains would I do it all again ,,only if I can leave the dangerous stuff out next time .
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
Hungry Haggis

Return to Chit Chat