The Soapbox

Place for general chit chat

Re: The Soapbox

Postby Saracenman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:14 pm

i agree Mr. Tim, hence my point about having a sensible concession structure for those who have no choice but to use their car. being out in the sticks, in a village where the sub-post office was shut down a few years ago - the nearest now is 9 miles away as are the nearest shops, only one bus a day (none at weekends!) the ONLY option is the car.

sadly this current gov't seem oblivious to the fact that some people don't actually live in London! :-o most legislation over the last few years has made rural-living more and more difficult :(

as for 4x4s - well there's another thing! =)) as a Land Rover owner, living in the countryside, regularly lugging ridiculous 'stuff various' around and regularly TOWING stuff, the ONLY vehicle that could do the job is a Landy! ;)

on a couple of occasions, in London, I'd have some do-gooder sticking a leaflet under my wiper saying how my Landy-ownership was killing the planet! X(

did they ever stop to think that my Landy will out-live many family-cars, thus saving VAST amounts of energy in manufacturing? most Landies around here are at least 25 years old and still going strong. what's more, there's very little that can't be taken apart and FIXED on a Landy - none of this 'throw it away and replace' routine with most normal cars!

did these tree-huggers stop to spy my LPG filler on the side of the Landy? environmentally friendly and cheaper! did they stop to notice the twigs, mud and cow-shit? not much of THAT around in London!

it obviously never dawned on them that i actually NEEDED a 4x4 X(

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:32 pm

The only issue I have with 4x4 owners are those who don't know how to go off road in them, and all I mean by that is about two foot onto the grass verge :)) lol
I'm so sick of these (normaly women, sorry but true) pushing our little car off the road, just because they don't want to get their paint dirty. We do a lot of tiny roads (not even B roads normaly) so it happends quite a bit. Farmers are great, they not only get 2 wheels onto the grass, but normaly all 4, but these snobby women don't even move [-x ~x( maybe they have a reason, I dunno, but I know their vehicle is better suited to it than ours.
My mum is very driver friendly, she always finds away to move off the road, so it's not her hogging the road or anything, but it would be nice to see other people move just a couple of inches out of the way too :D
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Lincoln, Hiho, Helen

Postby Pujgnie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:35 pm

In response to the 4x4 issue.

I own a Rangie for the pure safety factor.. and yes, I have done the odd bit of off roading. Not only are they built like tanks, they offer you the foward vision (by height) to see ahead.. and forsee problems way ahead of those in lower cars.

OK it's not Eco friendly.. but I can get 28mpg out of it. My works van only just manages 30mpg. I am in the Clarkson camp... the planet is not going to imediately benefit from everyone getting a small car and going green.

Global warming... nah ! Nothing man can do today will change the inevitable outcome. What we do to cut emmissions and lower carbon footprint are pretty futile IMO. It will take hundreds of years for our input to make any effect, that is - if every country plays ball.

Ever considered the other side of the coin ? That planet Earth is still emerging from the Ice Age in small progressions ?
Look Mummy.. there's an aeroplane up in the sky.....
Pujgnie
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Saracenman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:35 am

Pujgnie wrote:In response to the 4x4 issue.

I own a Rangie.........OK it's not Eco friendly.. but I can get 28mpg out of it............

that's the point i was making earlier - it's not ALWAYS about fuel consumption. boffins have calculated that the only manufactured mode of transport which SAVES more energy by using it during its lifetime, than it did to actually make it in the first place is the bicycle.

typically, in the average family-car's lifetime, it only saves (in terms of not having to walk) a tiny tiny fraction of the energy required to make the car in the first place.

because Landies and Rangies are built in the way that they are (using a comparable amount of energy as it takes to produce a Ford Focus, for example) they can last for decades. one farmer i know still uses his Series 1 Landy on a daily basis - it was built in 1949! my current Landy is nearly 30 years old and still fine (although it looks like a wreck due to arguing with too many trees and rocks!)

how many 30 y/o bicycles are stillin regular use, let alone ones made in 1949 :p

all Landrovers are some of the most eco-friendly vehicles in existence, simply due to their simplicity, ease of maintenance, and longevity :)

why don't you convert your RR to LPG Pudgeyknees? i used to run a V8 Landy on LPG and it worked out cheaper to run than a VW Polo =))

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Wedgy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:51 am

WHOEVER INVENTED SNOW .... SHOULD BE SHOT.

That tis all X(
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Saracenman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:09 am

just for you Wedgy................

:D
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby MrTim » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Pujgnie wrote:Global warming... nah ! Nothing man can do today will change the inevitable outcome.

I've never heard an (ex) polititian talk more sense than Nigel Lawson, who was talking about his book - Appeal to Reason - on Radio 5. He argued, very logically, that it isn't the huge threat most boffins and polititians would have us believe and that the policies to deal with it are deeply flawed. I will be getting myself a copy of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Appeal-Reason-Cool-Global-Warming/dp/071563786X
MrTim
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Also Known As: Eduard von Foodmixer

Postby Mayfly » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:00 pm

global warming...., the 11mile thick covering of ice in the iceage thawed in 50yrs now thats global warming & nothing to do with man
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Previous

Return to Chit Chat