Oliver Cromwell

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

Oliver Cromwell

Postby IanM » Sat May 08, 2010 5:36 pm

I joined about 15 other people on the banks of the River Stour to watch it come past...

Which very nearly was really bad timing as a London-Norwich train was slowly accelerating away from Manningtree just as Oliver Cromwell came into view!!!

Image

But it just passed in the nick of time...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Some classic traction bringing up the rear...

Image

Off through Manningtree Station towards London...

Image
Ian

Image Image
User avatar
IanM
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Manningtree, Essex
Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby Mayfly » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Nice one Ian - Do you know what she had been upto?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29724
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby IanM » Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 am

Mayfly wrote:Nice one Ian - Do you know what she had been upto?


Basically a London - Cambridge - Bury St Edmonds - Norwich - London excursion. Tornado is coming through before the end of the month so fingers crossed I can get a few pictures of her this time being as she came within 50 yards or my house last time and all I got was a whistle :-)
Ian

Image Image
User avatar
IanM
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Manningtree, Essex
Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby RLN » Sun May 09, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks for posting the pics, Ian. :ymapplause:
User avatar
RLN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby 34053 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:34 am

Many thanks for the great pics, RLN. The next Excursions by 70013 are are both on 16th May: 'The Spitfire' (London Victoria-Faversham- and return) PLUS the 'add-on' 'The Faversham Shuttle' (Faversham-Gillingham-Sheerness-Faversham). No actual 'Timings' yet, but please check in the next few days on:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs10.htm

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby Sooty655 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:21 am

I click on a thread called "Oliver Cromwell" in a forum called "History Past and Present", and instead of the English civil war and the Commonwealth, I find bloody steam trains. :))

Where are the forum police when you need them?
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
User avatar
Sooty655
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Weedon, Northants

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby 34053 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Sooty655 wrote:I click on a thread called "Oliver Cromwell" in a forum called "History Past and Present", and instead of the English civil war and the Commonwealth, I find bloody steam trains. :))

Where are the forum police when you need them?



That's life, Sooty! ;)

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby Sooty655 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:43 pm

34053 wrote:
Sooty655 wrote:I click on a thread called "Oliver Cromwell" in a forum called "History Past and Present", and instead of the English civil war and the Commonwealth, I find bloody steam trains. :))

Where are the forum police when you need them?



That's life, Sooty! ;)


Indeed it is!. They are great photos but having been fooled by the thread title, I couldn't resist the dig. :ymdevil:
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
User avatar
Sooty655
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 8827
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Weedon, Northants

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby RLN » Sun May 09, 2010 5:14 pm

34053 wrote:Many thanks for the great pics, RLN. The next Excursions by 70013 are are both on 16th May: 'The Spitfire' (London Victoria-Faversham- and return) PLUS the 'add-on' 'The Faversham Shuttle' (Faversham-Gillingham-Sheerness-Faversham). No actual 'Timings' yet, but please check in the next few days on:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs10.htm

PW



Not me, PW. [-x
User avatar
RLN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby 34053 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:46 pm

RLN wrote:
34053 wrote:Many thanks for the great pics, RLN. The next Excursions by 70013 are are both on 16th May: 'The Spitfire' (London Victoria-Faversham- and return) PLUS the 'add-on' 'The Faversham Shuttle' (Faversham-Gillingham-Sheerness-Faversham). No actual 'Timings' yet, but please check in the next few days on:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs10.htm

PW



Not me, PW. [-x



OOOOPS! Yet another 'Senior Moment'! (Getting too frequent these days). My aplologies RLN; plus, my profuse apologies to IanM to whom my accolade for the pics should have been directed. (I shall now go and lie down in a darkened room!).

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby RLN » Sun May 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Don't apologise to me, PW. I wish I could take decent pictures. :D
User avatar
RLN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby Wedgy » Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 pm

Nice photos :ymapplause: :D
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"
Image

Help promote us! Look HERE
User avatar
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7034
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Also Known As: Wedginald

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby 34053 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am

34053 wrote:......The next Excursions by 70013 are are both on 16th May: 'The Spitfire' (London Victoria-Faversham- and return) PLUS the 'add-on' 'The Faversham Shuttle' (Faversham-Gillingham-Sheerness-Faversham). No actual 'Timings' yet...

PW



Timings and Routes are now in:

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t10/t0516b.htm

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby Wedgy » Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Train spotter in narrow escape
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8683750.stm
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"
Image

Help promote us! Look HERE
User avatar
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7034
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Also Known As: Wedginald

Re: Oliver Cromwell

Postby 34053 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 am

What an utter, utter idiot!!!! It will only take a fatality (under stupid situations like this) and all the goodwill generated by the likes of 'Tornado', etc will be lost and extreme draconion measures and restrictions will be imposed by Network Rail upon the genuine steam enthusiast. (We have enough problems as it is, in some cases!)

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy


Return to History Past and Present

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest