5 inch Gauge 9F

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

Re: 5 inch Gauge 9F

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Vulcan Bomber wrote:No update tonight (not that i've been slacking!!) But I found this on YouTube by Chris Eden-Green of the full size 9F and I enjoyed it as I always do with these Short Video's he does.. Anyway, a few might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddZWfq5vOw

I too thoroughly enjoyed that video - I have to say that even though I was around when steam was live and remember The Pines Express coming through Wellington in Shropshire when I 'were a lad' (with my 1d platform ticket and notebook :p ) I don't remember seeing PFs ....but must have done - an impressive beast indeed :D ;)

The 9F's were used down on the Somerset and Dorset part of the Pines Express, simply because they were the only engines capable of hauling 700 tons up some of the gradients single hand. Indeed, 9F 92220 Evening Star pulled the last Pines Express over the S&D. What isnt mentioned in that footage is the 9F's only ran Passenger Services in the Summer due to them not being fitted with steam heat for the coaches.
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Spitfire » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 am

Vulcan Bomber wrote:The 9F's were used down on the Somerset and Dorset part of the Pines Express, simply because they were the only engines capable of hauling 700 tons up some of the gradients single hand. Indeed, 9F 92220 Evening Star pulled the last Pines Express over the S&D. What isnt mentioned in that footage is the 9F's only ran Passenger Services in the Summer due to them not being fitted with steam heat for the coaches.

Well that shows my very limited knowledge of the working main line steam age :-o :((

I assumed that you stuck an engine on the front at one end of the journey and it went the whole way... I never gave a thought to engines changing on the journey ...

I spent as lot of time on Wellington station where a lot of famous and big engines seemed to stop in those days and tried my best to look 'worthy' to the engine drivers so I could climb onto the footplate - I soon learned to befriend the fireman as my 'way in' ... I even managed (health and safety close your ears) to get footplate rides on some engines as they decoupled and changed ends :D :D The noise - the heat - the smell ... remember it as if it were yesterday ...

Not at all like the clean and sterile 'Office' of an InterCity 125 :( ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:03 pm

People saying about getting footplate trips, the sounds and smells ect make me want to be 68, not 28.......
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Spitfire » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote:People saying about getting footplate trips, the sounds and smells ect make me want to be 68, not 28.......

Yep - I was born in 53 and saw the arse end of steam before Beeching had his wicked way ... X(

'Cabbing' was the ultimate goal of train spotters - well me anyway ... I made a show of taking numbers but I really wasn't interested ... it was more about hanging around the engines, looking in amazement at the complicated running gear and chatting to the driver/fireman at ANY opportunity. ;)

It was partly the smell of hot oil that got me into model aircraft - I wasn't in to Hornby 00 trains as they were pretty unimpressive - no smell - no heat - no sound ... but a 1.5cc diesel engine screaming at 10000rpm on fuel you brewed yourself was pretty orgasmic especially when you had to start it by your own hard work finger thumping the prop and learning yourself how atmospherics affect engines .... try starting a little diesel engine on an overcast damp and dewy winter day .... very sore fingers ... but we kept at it and it did fire up eventually ... all good fun B-) :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:38 pm

After the best part of 300 miles there and back (and a visit to see another vulcan!) I've bought these back from Manchester Model Engineering Exhibition today..

Obviously they are the tender frame plates... I will be stashing these in the loft for a while. I will be getting some tender drawings from my next York visit all being well.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Yet another little update on the little 9F.... I'm really hoping I can keep this pace up for a while!

First thing is that the Tender Frames have now made it to the loft for a while, while the went up there I thought I Would try the keeps for size....

They are as snug as a bug in a rug as my dad would say..

My current aim is to catch up and finish off some bits i've started and then ignored for one reason or another, so the next bit getting some attention is the Pony Truck Pivot Stretcher....

First job is to cobble a fixture up:

And the jobs held like so:

Ready to mill down either side to the correct width for the frames.... I have done this, but due to my stupidity i have failed to take a picture of this so that will have to wait for the next update..
Vulcan Bomber

Postby 34053 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 pm

Thank you VB. Keep up the good work.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:51 pm

I've managed a lot less this week so far than I really wanted to, however, progress is progress!

I have clamped the fixture for the Pony Truck Pivot Stretcher onto an angle plate, on the machine table and managed to mill and drill the one side of the stretcher.

And the fixture turned round to do the 2nd side.

And in the Pic below you will see what we are trying to make, the Loco in the Pic is 92220 Evening Star. To give you an idea of where it is, we can see the leading driving wheels, and the rear A frame of the Pony Truck with a small amount of Pony Truck Wheel as well.

Vulcan Bomber

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Just a quick update tonight to Show the other side of the Pony Truck Pivot Stretcher is now machined.

This now needs some milling on the bottom face using a slightly different approach to what you have seen so far, reason being is i havn't had access to a machine that can do it, I will try and video what it does. And 4 holes will need adding at the same time.. I also need to machine up a little bush and some pads that will be soldered onto the stretcher.. The light is visible at the end of the tunnel now with this stretcher..
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Aceyone » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:19 am

Fascinating ,thanks for the updates !
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Are you making two, VB? There appears to be a second one in the background of some pics from the previous update.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Sooty655 wrote:Are you making two, VB? There appears to be a second one in the background of some pics from the previous update.

Yes, we'll, I'm actually building 3 engines, I'm having one and a friend of mine is having another..... Thing is, he doesn't know that yet and nor does his wife so fingers crossed they still like me when they find out... The 3rd one will be made up of all my little, but mostly unnoticeable cock ups.... And that will be sold on to fund the boiler, the boiler if I make myself will cost around 2 grand in copper, silver solder and gas... Or if I have one made by TIG welding the copper it will be more like 4 1/2 grand....

I've also made (or dad has) loads of odds and sods such as brake blocks and I occasionally list them on eBay so there is a small fund for material, drawings ect... I'm trying to make the finished article self funded.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote:
Sooty655 wrote:Are you making two, VB? There appears to be a second one in the background of some pics from the previous update.

Yes, we'll, I'm actually building 3 engines, I'm having one and a friend of mine is having another..... Thing is, he doesn't know that yet and nor does his wife so fingers crossed they still like me when they find out... The 3rd one will be made up of all my little, but mostly unnoticeable cock ups.... And that will be sold on to fund the boiler, the boiler if I make myself will cost around 2 grand in copper, silver solder and gas... Or if I have one made by TIG welding the copper it will be more like 4 1/2 grand....

I've also made (or dad has) loads of odds and sods such as brake blocks and I occasionally list them on eBay so there is a small fund for material, drawings ect... I'm trying to make the finished article self funded.

Sounds like a sensible plan. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Sooty

Sooty655

Postby 34053 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Thank you for the latest pics and info VB. Quite impressive the amount of work involved and what you are able to do. Very skilled.

(I have been away for a few days, at Swanage, working on the '12'' to a foot' scale versions, hence my delay in responding to your latest posts).

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Now I would love to play with 12 inches to the foot... Trouble is I don't get the time. My closest railway is an hours drive away. I only live 5 minutes from Bruntingthorpe and don't get any time to play with the aircraft up there....

My model making is currently about half hour a day at lunch time at work and the odd evening when SWIMBO and the kids are at the Mother in Laws.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Spitfire » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:52 am

Vulcan Bomber wrote: about half hour a day at lunch time at work and the odd evening

Blimey you get more done in that short time than I do with a fully equipped workshop at home and, being retired, supposed limitless time .. :p ;)

I have discovered that retirement brings 'other' pressures on time and I swear I spend less time in the workshop than I ever did when 'working' :( :D

It seems that work expands to fill the time available - i.e. when working ... room needs decorating... Friday evening strip room - sand/prepare/apply undercoat - Saturday wall paper / apply gloss - Sunday finish off and put room back to normal....

In retirement ... room needs decorating ... think about it for 2 weeks ....take further 2 weeks to decide colour scheme .... bring materials home ... look at them for a month .... start to strip room .... start another, more pressing, job .... return 3 weeks later .... can't be bothered to prepare wood - add one coat gloss over what's there ....make a mess of it .... spill paint ... get pi$$ed off .... phone decorator..... :)) :))

Currently in yet another Travelodge room about to attend funeral of elderly relative ... seem to spend more time in Travelodges than at home now with so many old folk to attend to ... ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Sooty655 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:08 am

That just about sums up retirement for me too. :)) :)) :)) :))

Only difference is no more funerals for me (except my own) ~ I've run out of relatives.
Sooty

Sooty655

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Funnily enough, one of the directors at work retires in a couple of weeks, he's worked 3 day weeks for a while now and has told me he doesn't know how he finds time to come in on them 3 days.... Fishing and golf and parish council keep him busy apparently.. Personally, of I was him, i'd have plenty of time to go to work!!!
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Spitfire » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote: parish council keep him busy

Aha - now if ever there was anything to soak up time its councils and committees :)) :))

If all else fails form a sub committee ... and talk endlessly about nothing in particular .... :p

I don't do clubs and societies and committees - loads of self important windbags who like the sounds of their own voices ~x( :-o

My opinion was formed several years ago when I was in Round table and the 'gardening sub committee' I was on discussed digging some old biddies garden for about 90 minutes non-stop ... I could have driven there and dug it whilst they were gassing :))
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:04 pm

And it's that that stopped me being in many clubs in the past... And don't look forwards to when the 9F is finished. Trouble is I have to be a member of a club for boiler pressure tests and insurance purposes if I want to run it anywhere other than the back garden... I have the length in the garden, but not the width.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Spitfire » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote: Trouble is I have to be a member of a club for boiler pressure tests and insurance purposes

Oh - clubs for a purpose are quite acceptable :D :p

I joined a local flying club so I can get access to their flying fields - I don't go to any meetings/AGMs/Club events etc - but I pay my £40 annual membership and my £30 annual insurance so I am justified in using the facilities and am fully insured whilst flying.
I told them when I joined that I wouldn't be joining in any meetings/events etc and they still accepted me - so its not as if I got anything under false pretences ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:22 pm

The closest Model Engineering Society to me is in Rugby, one of the terms of membership is you have to spend an hour a week there helping out with maintaining the place.... Not sure I can commit to that at the minute.... Not that I need membership there at the minute.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Spitfire » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 am

Vulcan Bomber wrote: terms of membership
Oh dear ....'terms' ... what a shame :(
Not everyone can afford any commitment :ymblushing:
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Wed May 25, 2016 9:27 pm

Bit of an update at last.... Sadly, not on anything i've done for the 9F.

Now, as we know, Ed's got his mill up and running and has been harassing me for some simple jobs to do on it.. So I had him produce this..

Yep, the front buffer beam! This was laser cut some time back to the profile Les Warnett produced.... and i've then put the holes as per the works drawings. If you look at the hole for the hook, there is quite an error between the two! Any way, the hook plate will cover that so its not really an issue.

Ed has also done some silver soldering for me once again, so we now have tender brake pull rods.

Ed has now also started milling the main block of the rear drag box for me and another part that will form its "lid".

I have also received a reasonable pile of laser cutting from Malcolm.... Via Ed from the show at Doncaster, this includes some rear drag box parts and also some parts of 2 stretchers. The 9F has 2 identical stretchers that sit either side of the center driving axle. I soon decided against milling that from solid! I'll get some pics of the bits when i've finished tarting them up.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby 34053 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 pm

Thanks VB. Good to hear from you. Looking forward to more News, in due course.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

PreviousNext

Return to History Past and Present