RAF Langham [Norfolk]

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

RAF Langham [Norfolk]

Postby Ray C » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 pm

I thought i would post this in the depths of the "Dark Cold Winter".
The wife & I took two weeks in North Norfolk..stayed at Stiffkey...The weather was Blisteringly "HOT".

I could take only so many long beach walks with Ashton RIP, & watch my Olympic champion
sunbatheing wife "Sizzle"... So, one afternoon i visited the former RAF Langham, just 10 mins
drive from our cottage, In the evening we visited the Bluebell Inn in Langham, Ate & drank
with a very welcoming landlady, & i feasted on all the airfield Memrobillia over most of the two
back room walls, i was saddend to hear she would be off when a new owner could be appointed,

"What about all the pictures & photos on the walls" i asked.."thats up to the new landlord"....!
I do hope the theme of the pub stays to some extent with its new owners.... :(

So to the shots...& note heat haze distorted some of the long shots [visitors not welcome]
to this former Bernard Mathews site.

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

If Bernard had not bought the site all those years ago...It would be fields again...Instead its full of Turkeys.
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Re: RAF Langham [Norfolk]

Postby Aceyone » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am

Great stuff,thanks for posting.excuse my ignorance but what is the domed building ?
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Ramshornvortex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Aceyone wrote:Great stuff,thanks for posting.excuse my ignorance but what is the domed building ?

"Built in 1942 the Dome is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and is now owned by the North Norfolk Historic Buildings Trust. Situated on the edge of Langham's RAF base, one of the wartime uses of the Dome was as a trainer for anti-aircraft gunners in ground to air defence. Rendered externally with concrete, which has a metal rod and mesh sub-structure, the interior of the Dome was lined with white fibreboard and had moving images of targets projected on to it. Part of the ceiling claddingTrainees, using replica weaponry equipped with a light beam, would aim at the targets to improve their accuracy and level of success. It is the intention of the Trust, together with the Friends of Langham Dome, to repair and restore this building and incorporate an interpretation of its training facilities."

Taken from their website: http://www.friendsoflanghamdome.org/domehistory.html
Ramshornvortex
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Aceyone » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Fascinating thanks :)
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows