My Photos

Discussions on anything photography. Equipment, techniques etc.

My Photos

Postby Minty4371 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 pm

I was informed today that some of my photos of the Chain Bridge Forge will be used for a 2014 calendar, and for a Christmas Card. I have sorted out my 13 choices, so will see if they are agreeable with other people at the Forge. It is the first time that any will be published, so don't know what to do about payment for the use of my photos. Do I ask for any payment, or not. I will still own the copyright to the photos.
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Locomotive Trust
Minty4371
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Re: My Photos

Postby Mayfly » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:19 am

You will own the copyright Minty and if you give permission for them to use them you can either give permission for a specific one off project or for whatever they want to use them for any time in the future - it's your choice.

As for payment it really depends on how you feel. Is the Chainbridge a charity? I believe a national newspaper only pays about £250 for a front page photo - not a lot when you think of the circulation they have, so personally I wouldn't think the payment would be great. That doesn't mean of course you aren't entitled to ask for something, it really is down to how you feel about about it. The one thing you should ensure tho' is you get credit for them and that could mean a small amount of wording on the back of each card.

Many photogs start off that way and hope they can build up base for more outlets.

Best of luck.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Dan4th » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:11 pm

I personally think the "freebie" route
is the one to take for a charity, but
ONLY if they state prominently how
these lovely shots were so generously
provided by YOU :D

You might want to figure out what a
typical set of charges might be since
this might give you some sort of a
tax write-off benefit......

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby MOD » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Minty imho I wouldn't ask for a payment - this time. They are more likely to ask you again in the future if you just ask for a clear photo-credit within a discrete area of the image(s) to be used.

I would look on their interest in your photos as a huge compliment. Of course if anyone gives you a request, in advance, for your photos then by all means start talking expenses/fees/royalties etc.

Oh and well done BTW :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Return to Photography Chat