XH558- The Final Flight

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

XH558- The Final Flight

Postby Blue_2 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:35 pm

I was lucky enough to be off work on Wednesday, so I went to Finningley to see if the whispers I had heard were true. The met on arrival was not encouraging
First aircraft sighting of the day; a Herc in the murk!

We adjourned to Bawtry to wait out the weather, returning after lunch. about 2pm she emerged from her lair
Started and taxied out
Past some of the waiting media
Before howling along the wet runway and leaving Finningley's runway for one last time

After staying low she put on an impressive climb
Turning back for a fast pass

After that we were treated to a missed approach

and then a touch and go

Another circuit, and it was time for the final ever landing of a V-bomber

After she dropped the chute, there was a spontaneous round of applause from us spectators

She received the traditional salute from the fire crews
And finally at rest, for the last time.
Farewell 558, thankyou for 8 wonderful years.
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Re: XH558- The Final Flight

Postby Sploosher » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:42 pm

thanks for the pics Graham................a sad day indeed, must have brought back memories of your lady arriving at Elvington, knowing she will never fly again.......... :(
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Ray C » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:24 am

So that's that...No more airborne 558, What will become of her in the intervening years before
they raise funds to build the permanent facility ....? I understood her current hangar is not cheap accommodation. :(
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Sooty655 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:33 am

Ray C wrote:So that's that...No more airborne 558, What will become of her in the intervening years before
they raise funds to build the permanent facility ....? I understood her current hangar is not cheap accommodation. :(

The management isn't bargain basement either. :(
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Mayfly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:37 am

Ray C wrote:So that's that...No more airborne 558, What will become of her in the intervening years before

I mentioned the other day on the 558 forum that they need to get the info out there as a lot appear to think it's taxi runs and hangar visits are what is going to finance this next phase. Apparently there is a update to the future expected soon.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:56 am

Mayfly wrote:I mentioned the other day on the 558 forum that they need to get the info out there as a lot appear to think it's taxi runs and hangar visits are what is going to finance this next phase. Apparently there is a update to the future expected soon.

So as I suspected the begging bowl and endless emotional blackmailing will continue along the "You need to support us by sending you 'pledges' or else this will happen - or not happen"

I grew to hate the word 'pledge' .... a euphemism for 'give us your money' X( X(
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:28 pm

I don't know, that's why the info needs to be out there, there is the following info on the the Trust website......

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/history/post-flight.html

but it doesn't really say a lot. Reading it I would guess it is grants and industry that will in main finance it. I can't ever see donations and pledges from Joe Public financing the hangarage required but who knows?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Mayfly wrote:I can't ever see donations and pledges from Joe Public financing the hangarage required but who knows?

Perhaps not - but can you see Vulcan To The Shed not utilising its Newsletter and die hard followers by suggesting they may want to stump up a pledge now and then because another funding source has not materialised or pulled out etc etc :ymdevil:

I also see that the DONATE button and attendant STO possibility is still very much in evidence :p ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Old Rigger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:47 pm

The donating ability is probably there for the die hard supporters who are still not convinced that XH558 is not actually going to fly again/pay for fuel & maintenance so she can trundle up and down the runway occasionally (that will probably need shed loads of money, of course not as much as required for flying her), or maybe to maximise income before moving on to something else/redundancy payments/retirement pensions/ etc.

The only people that know won't be telling any time soon if historical evidence is to go by, so it might be better to not discuss anymore so the whole project can be laid to rest once and for all and keep the good memories and hopefully the bad ones will no longer be important.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Image
Old Rigger
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Postby Spitfire » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:29 am

Old Rigger wrote: so it might be better to not discuss anymore so the whole project can be laid to rest once and for all

Amen O:-)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Anything Vulcan