Happy New Year

Place for general chit chat

Happy New Year

Postby Old Rigger » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:04 am

Happy New Year to all that still frequent the site. Since retiring I have been busy with grandsons, allotment, doing a bit of tech writing for a colleague of mine from my old work place and a myriad of other things, modelling has taken a bit of a back seat though.

I noticed a PayPal auto payment to Iconic and realised that since I got a new laptop I had not added this site to my start menu, I do note that with the exception of the History Past & Present topic that there has been little usage since last year, so will keep a weathered eye out and see how it goes, but while the site is still going I am happy to subscribe to its upkeep and check in once in a while.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Image
Old Rigger
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Re: Happy New Year

Postby 34053 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm

Good to hear from you again Old Rigger. Happy New Year to you also.

Yes, things have been a bit quiet for a while, but we still retain 'the faithful few'.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Postby Old Rigger » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi 34053 (PW) and thanks for the reply, will keep an eye out for some of the faithful few, hope all has been well with everybody.

All the best MH
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Image
Old Rigger

Postby Spitfire » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 pm

I pop in most days ... I have a tab link and select it to see who's about - if anyone - but 95% of the time its a very short visit ;) I read all the occasional links about restoring full size steam trains etc and the making of model steam trains with interest but its something well outside my understanding so I have nothing to offer.

Other Iconic Aircraft snippets come and go and I think I may post them but because its so quiet here I dont bother - which is a double edged sword I know ...

For instance Coventry's Meteor NF11 WM167 took its final flight only recently and landed for final preservation at Bruntingthorpe ... it WILL be maintained in full taxyable condition by a band of dedicated volunteers...
(Much as XH558 would have been had they not decided to condemn it to the current Doncaster disaster X( ~x( - but thats another story ;) )

More trivia - Buffalo owns Electra turboprops - some bought from Coventry - still sporting on theor fins an Osprey motif - desiged by none other than Will Jarman (above) ... small world ;)

Then there's been a flurry of interest in Spitfire PR IV AA810 ..
https://www.facebook.com/SpitfireAA810/
https://www.spitfireaa810.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR151e4h1prHmCyqLK3Y7eJgj-tGISHTwAKJoHiSH3Ai7Ef5h3DRB-N9YPo
It was a Photo reconnaissance Spitfire which crashed in Norway having been shot down by none other than Heinz Knoke.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/flew-Fuhrer-CASSELL-MILITARY-PAPERBACKS/dp/0304366382
... but its remaining parts been recovered and is being restored to flight :)

Interestingly on the Facebook page - the beautifully hand drawn depiction of how the Spitfire would have looked has been drawn by the son of my long time best friend - a guy called Will Jarman...
Funnily emough at one time Will worked at Coventry airport and actually flew as a passenger in the Meteor above - now recently retired ;)

And then I wonder how many of you have discovered the daily short videos on Youtube by Mikey McBryan - the son of Buffalo Joe of the old TV series 'Ice Pilots' in Canada ... keeping old piston pounders flying in devastatingly low temperatures
Its called 'PLANE SAVERS' as now they are trying to resurrect one of their old DC3s, which flew on D Day, to flight to commemmorate the 75th D D ay anniversary in June ..
https://www.youtube.com/user/McMakk/videos

In my own life I occasionally think I do something mildly interesting and then 'Ooo I'll post that on Iconic' ... then I think what's the point :(

Been retired 2 years now - still avidly making model planes and have recently added a laser cutter to my equipment that makes my life easier .. quite a project in itself .. but there you go :)

Funny old world - how things change so rapidly in relatively short time spans ... where will we be in 10 years I wonder
.. I suspect we'll be on our 'best of 7' referendum about Brexit :)) :((
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Chit Chat