LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

All military (past & present) aircraft talk, photos, videos etc

LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

Postby Last Lightning » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Those of you that have seen my Vulcan XL386 thread will know I spent a little time with the fire school at RAF Manston way back in 1991. While I was there I managed to photograph the majority of things there but unfortunately i didnt look after the negatives, hence only the one Vulcan pic.

I have however managed to rescue this photo of Hawker Hunter XJ695 or as it reports to be on the rear fuselage XF519

Image
HUNTER FGA9 XF519 OR IS IT? NO ITS XJ695 by Gaz West, on Flickr

Quite a while ago now the very last person ever to fly XJ695 got in touch and related the last flight to me, I reproduce it here as it was sent to me:-

"I see from my logbook that I was the very last person to fly XJ695. On 16th November 1978 on my second LL recce sortie of the day in XJ695 out of Brawdy I hit a seagull over the Forest of Dean (an arboreal seagull?) and diverted to BZN. The damage to the aircraft was significant. The impact was on the port intake resulting in a major dent. The bird then went into the engine, tearing the port intake skin and removing the letterbox on its way, where it impacted on the starter housing and succeeded in shifting the engine on its mountings but the ever-reliable Avon held true throughout the recovery to BZN. I went to lunch in the Officers Mess (much tut-tutting about my green grow-bag from the shiny fleet) and phoned home. They phoned me back 20' later to say that the aircraft was deemed beyond economical repair. I was picked up some 30' later by my boss in our JP4 and XJ695 was abandoned at Brize never to fly again (nor did the seagull)."

I do know the name of the pilot but he wishes to remain anonymous, so please dont ask B-)
User avatar
Last Lightning
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

Postby Sooty655 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Ok, I won't ask about the pilot, but why was the tail number changed?
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
User avatar
Sooty655
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 8871
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Weedon, Northants

Re: LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

Postby Mayfly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Love hunters :YMDAYDREAM: so why the difference in serial numbers?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29760
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

Postby Last Lightning » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Ok I looked into that a while ago the theory is that XF519 had a new/old donor back end fitted (possibly XJ695s) for some reason before she was exported to some small country in Africa, (Nigeria or some such I forget) How, when and why XJ695 aquired the back of XF519 I dont know, but the difference in paint scheme definately shows they are indeed two different Hunters...it could be as simple as just a straight swap!!

As for the fate of XF519 some reports say it crashed some say it is in store...somewhere in Africa.....
User avatar
Last Lightning
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

Postby Jigsaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Mayfly wrote:Love hunters :YMDAYDREAM: so why the difference in serial numbers?


Love Hunters as well and really enjoyed reading that. It was great when my stepfather was posted at Brawdy (apart from watching the disbandments) :((
Kev
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6456
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe
Also Known As: photo_lincs

Re: LAST FLIGHT OF HUNTER FGA9 XJ695

Postby Mags » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Shame to see it in such a mess :(
User avatar
Mags
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:44 pm


Return to Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron